Monday, June 20, 2016

Beginning of the Adventure

Last weekend was our first free weekend to travel, so myself and five other students decided to go to Lake Como. Since getting adjusted during the first week was somewhat of a struggle for me I was in dire need of the sun and water in my life. I grew up at the lake so it was like a piece of home to me, but to be honest I have never in my life seen a place like this. It still blows my mind to think back and remember the always-surrounding beautiful scenery and how even though I was truly there in reality, it continuously seemed like I was looking at a picture. I actually learned a lot while travelling there and being able to explore and wander around the city of Lecco, Belaggio, and Lake Como. It was an unforgettable experience and I hope to someday take my entire family back there!

Leading into the next weekend we had more travels planned to visit Roma and Firenze (Florence). I still can’t grasp the fact that I was in the historical city of Rome and got to physically see the Colosseum and Trevi Fountain with my own eyes. Displayed are some of the amazing pictures that I will have forever as memories. We also saw Piazza del Popolo and Piazza Campidoglio where the enormous capital (Altar of the Fatherland) was built. It is fascinating to me the history behind each monument and how crazy it is to think that they were able to construct such places and statues so long ago. I was utterly in awe at most of the places we viewed in Rome.
                         
                         Colosseum                          Altar of the Fatherland
               
                                                   Trevi Fountain


Florence will forever hold a place in my heart because I felt that it held the true culture and feel of Italy. I was most looking forward to visiting here and, though it rained on us, I was again in awe every time I looked over or turned down the next street. In my opinion, Basilica of Saint Mary of the Flower (the cathedral) was even more impressive that Milan’s and I almost couldn’t fathom the size and slight detail throughout the entire building. Many of the places to see in Florence are in walking distance from each other so we started at the cathedral and walked to Piazza Della Signoria, Uffizi, and Ponte Vecchio. They each had amazingly detailed statues, bridges, and water features of some kind. I’m sure there was more to see but with limited time I was happy to even have the chance to visit for the day. Italy, you have not been a disappointment and with another week of class and a free weekend after to travel, I am very much looking forward to continuing this incredible adventure!

           Basilica of Saint Mary of the Flower

                       
Ponte Vecchio


No comments:

Post a Comment